Champions League is finally back on the telly, and what better way to celebrate than betting on your favourite (or least favourite) team? If you’re feeling unsure of who to bet on, here’s an analysis of the biggest and baddest Champions League players and teams. If only it were football season, every season.
Real Madrid CF
This years winner Real Madrid has won the Champions League a whole 11 times. Betting on Real might seem like the obvious thing to do when you look at the stats, but nothing’s for sure.
UEFA ranks Real Madrid as the best team of all time. This is because of these interesting facts and figures:
- Real has conceded most goals : 237
- Real has played the most games: 225
- Real has won the most times: 133
- Real has scored the most goals: 467
- Real has the highest goal average per game: 2.075
- Real player Cristiano Ronaldo scored the most goals in 2014 (17 goals) and in 2016 (16 goals). He is both the first and second player to score the most goals per season.
- Zinedine Zidane recently came on-board as trainer of Real Madrid. He is the first person to have both won as a player, and as a coach. We’re betting on him to take Real to the big leagues next year, too.
If you’re not betting on Real Madrid, you might want to bet on another Spanish team. For decades Atletico was the underdog of Champions League, no one thought of betting on them. But recent years have shown us that it’s possible for all underdogs to become big league players. Atletico is considered to be a great club because of their excellent teamwork. UEFA only ranks Atletico as the 24th best team. This is because of the team’s past as underdogs. Don’t base your bets on the ranks alone, take recent performance into consideration as well.
A lot of great Champions League teams derive from Spain. Another team you might be betting on is FC Barcelona. UEFA ranks the team as the second best of all time. This is because:
- Barcelona has played the second most games: 216
- Barcelona has conceded the third most goals: 213
- Barcelona has the second highest number of wins: 126
- Barcelona has the second most goals scored: 433
- Barcelona has the second highest goal per average game time: 2.005
- Messi has scored the most goals in one game for Barcelona in 2012. He scored five goals.
FC Bayern Munchen
Don’t forget to acquaint yourself with the German teams if you’re betting on Champions League. UEFA ranks Bayern as the third best team of all time. This is due to Bayern’s great stats:
- Bayern has played the third most games: 211
- Bayern has conceded the second most goals: 219
- Bayern has won the third most times: 114
- Bayern has scored the third most goals: 388
- Bayern has the third highest goal average per time: 1.839
When betting on a team in Champions League, the players are just as important to take into consideration, because it is up to them after all. So which players are the best? The most goals scored, are dominated by Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Bayern. As you can see from the table below, Arenal, Zenit, PSG and Manchester City are also teams to keep an eye on. Bet on the best players with Paddy Power promo code.
|Cristiano Ronaldo||Real Madrid||16|
|Wilfried Bony||Man. City||4|
|Cristiano Ronaldo||Real Madrid||4|
Tips & Tricks to Champions League Betting
Teams can only register twenty-five players. If your team qualifies, you should check whether the same players have been registered or not. Sometimes they make last minute changes that can change the outcome of the game.
Keep Up to Date
Keep up to date with your teams’ lineup, injuries, yellow cards and red cards! These are vital aspects of a well-functioning team, which might affect your wager. Check the opposing team as well, because you might be able to make a great wager if you spot an injury or foreshadow a suspension. Sometimes you need a little help with keeping up to date, check out football prediction websites to make sure you don’t lose out on a potential win.
Champions League betting is exciting because of the “free disposal” of yellow cards. Keep in mind that one red card counts as three game suspensions, two yellow cards in separate games count as one game suspension. This means that if one of the star players has one yellow card, he might not be inclined to play aggressively.
If the players have a problem in their domestic leagues, chances are that they won’t priorities Champions League. Also, if the team has played against their arch rivals, they’re probably not going to be able to give 100% in their next game.
The location of the game can affect the outcome of a match. Playing a home game usually increases the chances of winning. We’re betting that if PFC Levski Sofia were to play in Bulgaria, they would go from the last place (133) to the second to last place.
If you’re used to betting with Bet365 you know that the operator always has different bonus offers for Champions League games. This year they had an In-Play bet offer. If your first in-play bet loses then they refund the stake. The stake should be maximum £25. This offer was specific to the Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid final.
Betfred offered a buy-in for £3.30, with a bounty prize of two tokens worth £10 and one Champions League entry token, and league winner could win £50 tournament tokens. You could earn points for every league tournament and at the end of the season, depending on how many points you have, you can qualify for £2,500 Betfred Super League Grand Finale.
If you’ve been betting with Ladbrokes before, you know that they usually promote Champions League bets. Ladbrokes offers 100% return on maximum £50 with the promo code F50. If you sign up and claim a bonus with the promo code THREE10 you can get a bonus. The bookie gives you £30 when you bet £10 for the Champions League games.