Bet365 - Terms and conditions apply : Sports betting | Casino | Poker | Terms and conditions apply : William Hill - Sports | Casino | Poker | Vegas | Live Casino | T&Cs apply | Wagering and T&Cs apply | Commercial content | New Customers Only | 18+
Sweden was one of the surprises of the last World Cup in Russia. Eliminated in the quarter-finals by England, the Blågult finished first in their group ahead of Germany and Mexico. They will be keen to continue their success and have a great Euro 2020 in June and July 2021.
- 🔎 Euro 2020: Sweden in a nutshell
- 👥 Sweden’s Euro 2020-2021 Lineup
- 👕 Sweden’s Kits
- 🗓️ Sweden’s Match Schedule (Group E)
- 🏃 Sweden’s Euro Preparation
- ⭐ The Star Player at Euro 2020: Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- 👟 The Player to Watch at Euro 2020: Dejan Kulusevski
- 📚 Sweden’s Stats and History at the Euro
- 🥊 Sweden’s Main Opponents at Euro 2020
🔎 Euro 2020: Sweden in a nutshell
Sweden at the Euro is one of the hits of the 21st century. Indeed, since Euro 2000, the “Yellow and blue” have never missed a final phase of the competition.
Even if the results haven’t been as expected (three eliminations in the group phase during the last three editions), the Swedish team intends to make up for it this year. The team has been revitalised with the likes of Kulusevki, Forsberg and Lindelöf.
At the Euro, they will also be able to count on the best striker in the national team’s history, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, as he has recently been recalled after 5 years away.
👥 Sweden’s Euro 2020-2021 Lineup
Ranked 20th in the world rankings, Sweden is capable of thwarting many superior teams. They will be a team to watch during Euro 2020.
Sweden’s 23-man squad
As with all the other nations, Sweden’s squad for Euro 2020 will not be known until May, but coach Janne Andersson outlined the squad at the March meeting.
The list of players called up contained a big surprise with the return of Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Having retired from international football at the end of Euro 2016, the Swedish giant had been expressing his desire to wear the yellow jersey again for several months.
Following fruitful discussions between the coach and the 39-year-old striker, an agreement has been reached, thus confirming his return to the team.
- Goalkeepers: Karl-Johan Johnsson, Kristoffer Nordfeldt, Robin Olsen
- Defenders: Ludwig Augustinsson, Pierre Bengtsson, Andreas Granqvist, Filip Helander, Emil Krafth, Mikael Lustig, Joakim Nilsson, Victor Nilsson Lindelöf, Carl Starfelt
- Midfielders: Jens Cajuste, Viktor Claesson, Albin Ekdal, Emil Forsberg, Sebastian Larsson, Kristoffer Olsson, Ken Sema, Mattias Svanberg
- Forwards : Marcus Berg, Alexander Isak, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Robin Quaison, Dejan Kulusevski, Jesper Karlsson
🔥 TRUPPEN! 🔥
Här är spelarna som representerar Sverige i matcherna mot Georgien, Kosovo och Estland! 🇸🇪🇸🇪
— Svensk Fotboll (@svenskfotboll) March 16, 2021
Janne Andersson: A Well-oiled Machine
He managed to take his men to the World Cup quarter-finals, even without some of his key players. His success can be explained by what he instils in his team: rigour and collective spirit. With several years of experience at Swedish clubs, he was propelled to the head of the national team after their failure at Euro 2016.
Known for his rigour and his ability to motivate his team, he is someone who does not hide his emotions when he’s on the sidelines.
Playing his team in a classic 4-4-2 formation, he chose to trust players with great intelligence and a positive mentality. In addition, he gave the captain’s armband to his central defender Granqvist, who proved to be a true leader of the team.
👕 Sweden’s Kits
Sweden’s home shirt for Euro 2020 is predominantly yellow, as usual. The away shirt is dark blue with yellow stripes, reminiscent of the Scandinavian country’s flag.
🗓️ Sweden’s Match Schedule (Group E)
Sweden is in group E at Euro 2020. They will be up against Spain, Poland and Slovakia. It is a credible candidate for second place in the group, along with Poland. However, they can hope for a slip-up by Spain which would allow them to fight for the top spot.
Spain vs Sweden odds
📊 How far will Sweden go at the Euro?
Round of 16
🏃 Sweden’s Euro Preparation
Sweden finished second in Group F during the Euro 2020 qualifiers, behind Spain. The Swedes had a good run and were only beaten once.
Euro 2020 Qualification Results
The group phase of the Nations League was, however, much more complicated for the Scandinavians. Against France, Portugal and Croatia, they lost five of their six games.
Nations League Results
- 05.09.20 – Sweden 0 – 1 France
- 08.09.20 – Sweden 0- 2 Portugal
- 11.10.20 – Croatia 2 – 1 Sweden
- 14.10.20 – Portugal 3 – 0 Sweden
- 14.11.20 – Sweden 2 – 1 Croatia
- 17.11.20 – France 4 – 2 Sweden
Five Games Before the Euro
During the international break in March, Sweden had two qualifying matches for the next World Cup in Qatar in 2022. In Group B, they are the main underdogs who could thwart Spain’s plans. In addition to these two matches, the Swedish federation has organised three friendly matches to prepare for the Euro.
- 25.03.21 – Sweden 1 – 0 Georgia
- 28.03.21 – Kosovo 0 – 3 Sweden
- 31.03.21 – Sweden 1 – 0 Estonia
- 29.05.21 – Sweden – Finland
- 05.06.21 – Sweden – Armenia
⭐ The Star Player at Euro 2020: Zlatan Ibrahimovic
We can’t talk about the Swedish national team’s star player without mentioning Zlatan Ibrahimovic. The 39-year-old Swedish giant has just been called back to wear the yellow and blue jersey, to everyone’s surprise.
Known as much for his importance on the team as for his legendary charisma, the Malmö native will be THE star to watch in the Swedish national team. With a year to go before the World Cup, we can also assume that the Euro will not be his last international competition.
He will certainly take advantage of the upcoming events to consolidate his status as Sweden’s all-time top striker, after a very successful season with AC Milan.
— Zlatan Ibrahimović (@Ibra_official) March 16, 2021
👟 The Player to Watch at Euro 2020: Dejan Kulusevski
The young Juventus right-winger will certainly be the man to watch for Sweden. Despite an average season with the Old Lady, everyone agrees that the player has great potential.
According to the Italian media, Juve has even declared him untransferable for the upcoming transfer window. A divisive player, he will have to prove his talent by taking part in the Swedish championship next June.
⭐️ 𝙳𝚎𝚓𝚊𝚗 𝙺𝚞𝚕𝚞𝚜𝚎𝚟𝚜𝚔𝚒 ⭐️
— Svensk Fotboll (@svenskfotboll) November 14, 2020
📚 Sweden’s Stats and History at the Euro
In June, Sweden will play its sixth Euro group stage, a tournament it has never won. Take a look at some of the figures for the yellows and blues at this tournament.
Sweden’s Euro Statistics
- 24: Sweden have played 24 matches during their Euro appearances
- 6: They have won only 6 of these games, which is only a 25% success rate
- 30: The Swedish national team scored 30 goals at the Euro and conceded… 30
Swedish Players’ Individual Statistics at the Euro
- 6: Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s 6 goals make him the third-highest scorer in Euro history
- 13: Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Oloff Melberg and Andreas Isaksson are the Swedish players to have played the most games at the Euro
- 1200: Andreas Isaksson has accumulated 1200 minutes on the pitch in 13 games
🥊 Sweden’s Main Opponents at Euro 2020
At Euro 2020, Sweden will face Spain, Poland and Slovakia, three tough opponents for Janne Andersson’s men.
La Roja is the clear favourites in their group at Euro. Spain is often pitted against Sweden, but the Scandinavians don’t always do so well against them.
With the lethal Robert Lewandowski, Poland, like Sweden, are contenders for second place in the group. This duel with the Blågut will be close.
Slovakia, the last team in this group, qualified in the playoffs. Despite this, they seem to be on roughly the same level as Sweden and Poland. An interesting 3-way duel is on the cards.