Commercial content | 18+
Euro 2020 will see Slovakia return to a major tournament after their participation in the previous edition, which ended in the Round of 16. Little is known about this team, which will be looking to repeat its performance.
- 🔎 Euro 2020: Slovakia in a nutshell
- 👥 Composition Slovakia Euro 2020-2021
- 👕 Slovakia’s jerseys
- 🗓️ Slovakia’s match schedule (Group E)
- 🏃 Slovakia’s Preparation for the Euro
- ⭐ The Star Player at Euro 2020: Milan Skriniar
- 👟 The Slovakian player to follow at Euro 2021: Marek Hamsik
- 📚 Stats and History of Slovakia at the Euro
- 🥊 Slovakia’s Main Opponents at Euro 2020
🔎 Euro 2020: Slovakia in a nutshell
Slovakia has struggled to win at major tournaments. Since leaving the Soviet bloc after the break-up of Czechoslovakia, they have only participated in one World Cup in 2010 and two Euros, including this year’s.
Slovakia qualified for the 2021 tournament via the play-offs. They were edged out by Wales by just one point in the qualifying group stage.
👥 Composition Slovakia Euro 2020-2021
Slovakia has an experienced team but has little actual experience at international competitions. Many will see this Euro as their last chance to do well at a European tournament. The team is indeed somewhat aged.
Slovakia’s 26-man roster
Here is the list of 26 players who will participate in Euro 2020.
- Goalkeepers: Martin Dubravka, Marek Rodak, Dusan Kuciak
- Defenders: David Hancko, Tomas Hubocan, Martin Koscelnik, Peter Pekarik, Lubomir Satka, Milna Skriniar, Martin Valjent, Denis Vavro
- Midfielders: Laszlo Benes, Ondrej Duda, Jan Gregus, Marek Hamsik, Lukas Haraslin, Jakub Hromada, Patrik Hrosovsky, Juraj Kucka, Stanislav Lobotka, Robert Mak, Tomas Suslov, Vladimir Weiss
- Attackers : Robert Bozenik, Michal Duris, Ivan Schranz
Coach: Stefan Tarkovic, the local
Stefan Tarkovic has been appointed to lead the team between the two Euro 2020 qualifying play-off matches. He was therefore promoted to manager for the most important match of the qualification. Unlike his predecessors, Tarkovic has not had a professional playing career, so it is a risk that has paid off so far.
👕 Slovakia’s jerseys
The Slovaks chose a camouflage blue. Their second outfit is much more sombre.
🗓️ Slovakia’s match schedule (Group E)
Slovakia is in Group E at Euro 2020 along with Spain, Sweden and Poland. It’s a tough group for the Slovaks, who will find it difficult to survive.
🏃 Slovakia’s Preparation for the Euro
Slovakia finished third in their qualifying group and went through the play-offs to qualify
Euro 2020 Qualification Results
In the Nations League, Slovakia had a harder time in League B, finishing last in their group.
Nations League Results
- 04/09/20 – Slovakia 1 – 3 Czech Republic
- 07/09/20 – Israel 1 – 1 Slovakia
- 11/10/20 – Scotland 1 – 0 Slovakia
- 14/10/20 – Slovakia 2 – 3 Israel
- 15/11/20 – Slovakia 1 – 0 Scotland
- 18/11/19 – Czech Republic 2 – 0 Slovakia
Three Matches Before the Euro
While waiting for the Euro, Slovakia played three games as part of the qualifiers for the next World Cup 2022 in Qatar. They have also planned two friendly matches to finalise their preparation for the event against Bulgaria and Austria.
- 24/03/21 – Cyprus 0 – 0 Slovakia
- 27/03/21 – Slovakia 2 – 2 Malta
- 30/03/21 – Slovakia 2 – 1 Russia
- 01/06/21 – Slovakia – Bulgaria
- 06/06/21 – Austria – Slovakia
⭐ The Star Player at Euro 2020: Milan Skriniar
The Inter Milan defender is a key member of his national team. With over 30 caps and two goals, he is the backbone of his defence and a true leader in the dressing room.
At club level, he has already played over 100 games for Inter at just 26 years of age. His experience at the top level, both in Serie A and in European cups, is an added bonus to help his teammates do well in the tournament between June and July 2021.
👟 The Slovakian player to follow at Euro 2021: Marek Hamsik
The former Napoli playmaker is obviously a key member of the team, having won over 100 caps since making his debut in 2007, and has been involved in every major international competition. Even though he has been on the decline for three seasons now and left for China, there is no doubt that he will want to shine with his national team in this last major continental competition.
📚 Stats and History of Slovakia at the Euro
Slovakia’s stats as an independent country are poor as they will be playing in only their second Euro. Here are some figures.
Slovakia’s Euro Statistics
- 1: Their only win against Russia (2-1) in 2016
- 2: Slovakia will participate in its second Euro
- 3: The number of goals scored
Statistics of Slovak Players at the Euro
- Slovakia’s top scorer at a Euro is Marek Hamsik with one goal
- Koloman Gogh, Ladislav Jurkemik and Anton Ondrus are the Slovak players who have played the most games in a Euro (6). At that time they were playing for Czechoslovakia. They should be joined by others who will play their second consecutive Euro here.
🥊 Slovakia’s Main Opponents at Euro 2020
Slovakia will be in Group E of the Euro alongside Spain, Sweden and Poland. A rather tough group for the Slovaks.
La Roja will have to redeem themselves after their failure to win the 2018 World Cup.
Sweden could continue to surprise us at this Euro after a successful World Cup.
Led by Robert Lewandowski, Poland is expected to do well in this group.