T&Cs apply | Wagering and T&Cs apply | Commercial content | 18+ | Play Responsibly
For their return to the competition after having missed the last edition, the Netherlands, with its golden generation, will be keen to shine. The Oranje are expected to do well this summer.
- 🔎 Euro 2020: The Netherlands in a nutshell
- 👥 The Netherlands’ lineup: Euro 2020-2021
- 👕 The Netherlands jerseys
- 🗓️ The Netherlands’ match schedule (Group C)
- 🏃 The Netherlands Euro Preparation
- ⭐ Key player for Euro 2020: Memphis Depay
- 👟 The player to follow at Euro 2020: Frenkie De Jong
- 📚 Stats and history: The Netherlands at the Euro
- 🥊 The Netherlands’ main opponents
🔎 Euro 2020: The Netherlands in a nutshell
The Netherlands are making their return to international competition after they missed Euro 2016 and the 2018 World Cup. They took third place in the 2014 World Cup but then experienced a dip in their performance during the following few years.
The Netherlands finished second in their group, behind Germany, in the Euro 2020 qualifiers with only one loss and one draw. With 24 goals scored and only seven conceded, the Oranje were able to make it through to the group stage.
Since their last disappointing performance, the Netherlands has built a solid team across all levels, combining young talents with experienced players such as De Ligt, De Jong and Blind.
👥 The Netherlands’ lineup: Euro 2020-2021
The Netherlands’ new golden generation should be very pleased with themselves. After being stuck in a rut for a while, the Dutch team has brought in some new talent (De Ligt, De Jong) but will still be able to rely on its more experienced players (Blind, Klaasen, Veltman). With this mix of players, the Netherlands could just be one of Euro 2021’s underdogs.
The Netherlands’ 26-man squad
Franck de Boer has revealed the list of 26 players who will join him at Euro 2021. The most notable amongst this group are Lyon’s Memphis Depay and Amsterdam’s Ryan Gravenberch.
- Goalkeepers: Tim Krul (Norwich City) – Jasper Cillesen (Valence CF) – Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax Amsterdam)
- Defenders: Matthijs De Ligt (Juventus Turin) – Dailey Blind (Ajax Amsterdam) – Jurriën Timber (Ajax Amsterdam) – Joel Veltman (Brighton HA) – Denzel Dumfries (PSV Eindhoven) – Stefan De Vrij (Inter Milan) – Patrick Van Aanholt (Crystal Palace) Nathan Aké (Manchester City) – Owen Wijndal (AZ Alkmaar)
- Midfielders: Frenkie De Jong (FC Barcelone/ESP), Ryan Gravenberch (Ajax Amsterdam/NTH), Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool/ANG), Donny Van de Beek (Manchester United/ANG), Marten De Roon (Atalanta Bergame) – Davy Klaasen (Ajax Amsterdam) – Teun Koopmeiners (AZ Alkmaar)
- Forwards: Memphis Depay (Olympique Lyonnais) – Luuk De Jong (FC Seville) – Wout Weghorst (Wolfsburg) – Quincy Promes (Spartak Moscou) – Cody Gakpo (PSV Eindhoven) – Donyell Malen (PSV Eindhoven) – Steven Berghuis (Feyenoord Rotterdam)
🦁 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐃𝐮𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐦𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬.
‣ L. De Jong
‣ Berghuis#WeTheWave #EURO2020
— OnsOranje (@OnsOranje) May 26, 2021
Frank De Boer: A Work in Progress
Frank De Boer has been in charge of the Dutch national team since September 2020. He took control of a struggling team that had been absent from the last two international competitions. However, Frank De Boer’s track record is far from glowing as he has been fired from every club he has managed (Inter Milan, Crystal Palace, Atlanta United).
Moreover, his record with the national team is already dismal as he is the only Dutch coach to have not won any of his first four matches. It’s therefore surprising to see De Boer in charge of a team in need of such a revamp, and it’ll be a tough challenge for him to succeed.
👕 The Netherlands jerseys
An orange kit at home and a more sombre, black kit for away games.
🗓️ The Netherlands’ match schedule (Group C)
The Netherlands is in Group C for Euro 2020 and will start the competition against Ukraine, followed by Austria and Northern Macedonia.
Like Italy and Germany, the Dutch team will have the chance to play its three group matches at home as they will be played at the Johan Cruyff Arena, one of the competition’s 12 stadiums.
🏃 The Netherlands Euro Preparation
The Netherlands qualified for the Euro by finishing second in their group, which was dominated by Germany. They only lost to the Germans and drew with Northern Ireland.
Euro 2020 Qualification Results
Whilst waiting for the Euro, the Netherlands played in the Nations League. They finished second, behind Italy, in their formidable league-phase group that included Robert Lewandowski’s Poland and Edin Dzeko’s Bosnia.
Nations League Results
- 04/09/20 – Netherlands 1 – 0 Poland
- 07/09/20 – Netherlands 0 – 1 Italy
- 11/10/20 – Bosnia-Herzegovina 0 – 0 Netherlands
- 14/10/20 – Italy 1 – 1 Netherlands
- 15/11/20 – Netherlands 3 – 1 Bosnia-Herzegovina
- 18/11/20 – Poland 1 – 2 Netherlands
Three World Cup 2022 Qualifying Matches Before the Euro
Before starting the competition, the Netherlands will have to play three qualifier games for the next World Cup 2022 in Qatar. The first will be on 24th March against Turkey followed by games against Latvia and Gibraltar. The Netherlands will have the chance to play some games in preparation for Euro 2020.
- 24/03/21 – Turkey 4 – 2 Netherlands
- 27/03/21 – Netherlands 2 – 0 Latvia
- 30/03/21 – Gibraltar 0 – 7 Netherlands
⭐ Key player for Euro 2020: Memphis Depay
Depay is the Dutch national team’s star player. The Lyon striker is coming off four consecutive 10+ goal seasons and is establishing himself as the team’s leading striker.
After missing out on the last Euro and the 2018 World Cup, Memphis will no doubt want to prove that his country is a powerhouse in European football. In fact, he is one of the favourites for the Euro 2020 golden boot award.
Proud of the team tonight 🙏🏽 pic.twitter.com/OcUm9uLQWJ
— Memphis Depay (@Memphis) February 9, 2021
👟 The player to follow at Euro 2020: Frenkie De Jong
The Barça midfielder is a force to be reckoned with, both at the club and national levels, and rarely disappoints. Since his Champions League triumph with Ajax Amsterdam in 2019, he has taken it up a notch and is part of a new generation of midfielders. Frenkie De Jong will be one of the players to watch during Euro 2020.
Disappointed that we didn’t make it to the final four. But happy that we won our last match of the year with the national team 🦁 #FJ21 pic.twitter.com/RwmBloZyCY
— Frenkie de Jong (@DeJongFrenkie21) November 19, 2020
📚 Stats and history: The Netherlands at the Euro
Created in 1960, the Euro’s history is rich, as is that of the Netherlands at the championship. Find out all about the Netherlands’ history at the Euro in a few figures.
The Netherlands’ Euro statistics
- The Netherlands will be playing in their 9th Euro. The team missed the 1960, 1968, 1972, 1984 and 2016 Euros
- The Netherlands played in one Euro final in 1988 and won
- The Netherlands holds the record for most goals scored in a single match (6 goals against Yugoslavia in 2000)
- At Euro 2000, the team finished as the best-attacking team in the competition (13 goals)
Dutch Players’ Individual Euro Statistics
- Marco Van Basten was Top Scorer at Euro 1988 with 5 goals as well as Patrick Kluivert in 2000 and Denis Bergkamp in 1992 with 3 goals.
- Patrick Kluivert is the joint-best Dutch scorer in the history of the Euro with 6 goals, along with Ruud Van Nistelrooy.
- Jetro Willems is the youngest player in history to have participated in a Euro finals in 2012 at 18 years and 71 days old
🥊 The Netherlands’ main opponents
The Netherlands should logically finish first in their group, which includes Ukraine, Austria and Northern Macedonia. However, Frank de Boer’s men will have to be wary of the formidable Ukrainians and Austrians, who have some strong players in their squad.
Fearsome opponents, Ukraine could pose a threat.
➡ All about Ukraine at Euro 2020-2021
Made up of some very strong players, the Austrian national team is hoping to finally shine in a major competition.
➡ All about Austria at Euro 2021-2021
Macedonia will have a lot to do for their first appearance at a major international competition.
➡ All about North Macedonia at Euro 2020-2021