T&Cs apply | Wagering and T&Cs apply | Commercial content | 18+
Before Euro 2020 starts, we will introduce the main nations that will take part in this competition. Today, let’s focus on Germany.
- 🔎 Euro 2020: Germany in a nutshell
- 👥 German lineup: Euro 2020-2021
- 👕 Germany’s jerseys
- 🗓️ Germany’s match schedule (Group F)
- 🏃Germany’s preparation for the Euro
- ⭐ Key player for Euro 2020: Manuel Neuer
- 👟 The player to follow at Euro 2020: Joshua Kimmich
- 📚 Stats and history: Germany at the Euro
- 🥊 Germany’s main opponents at Euro 2020
🔎 Euro 2020: Germany in a nutshell
Whether it is a World Cup or a Euro, Germany is always named among the favourites. Since 2002, the Mannschaft has always played a key role in these competitions.
It should also be the case at the Euro 2020. Germany has been great during qualifiers. Like England, Joachim Löw’s players performed really well in their group, with seven wins and just one defeat. They scored 30 goals and conceded just 7.
Appointed in 2006, Joachim Löw is the longest-standing national team manager at this Euro. His experience should be valuable for Germany.
👥 German lineup: Euro 2020-2021
The 2014 World Champions have one of the most highly-skilled squads on the planet. Famous worldwide, Germany’s ability to produce great players will be an asset for Joachim Löw at the Euro.
Germany’s 26-man squad
Germany coach Joachim Low has changed the direction of his choices over the last few games. The 60-year-old has left out many of his senior players and is now relying more on the younger generation.
In March, the coach unveiled his list of players for the March break. One new name and one old one are included in the list: Jamal Musiala (18 years old – Bayern Munich), and Thomas Muller is back.
- Goalkeepers: Bernd Leno, Manuel Neuer, Kevin Trapp
- Defenders: Christian Gunter , Matthias Ginter, Robin Gosens, Marcel Halstenberg, Lukas Klostermann, Antonio Rüdiger, Niklas Süle, Mats Hummels, Robin Koch
- Midfielders: Emre Can, Leon Goretzka, Ilkay Gündogan, Kay Havertz, Jonas Hofmann, Joshua Kimmich, Toni Kroos, Jamal Musiala, Florian Neuhaus
- Forwards: Timo Werner, Leroy Sané, Serge Gnabry, Kevin Volland, Thomas Muller
Joachim Low decided to recall the banned players with Thomas Muller and Mats Hummels.
— Die Mannschaft (@DFB_Team) May 19, 2021
Joachim Löw, a last journey before the end
Manager of Germany since 2006, Joachim Löw has announced that this Euro will be his last competition with the Nationalmannschaft. He will, without a doubt, put everything in place to leave with another trophy, after the World Cup 2014 he won.
👕 Germany’s jerseys
White is always the base colour for the home shirt. As for the away, it can vary. This time we are in the beautiful matt black.
🗓️ Germany’s match schedule (Group F)
Germany will feature in group F at the Euro 2020. The “death group”. The Germans will play against France, Portugal and Hungary.
As England, Germany will have the chance to play at home, as their three group games will be hosted at the Allianz Arena in Munich, one of the 12 stadiums of the competition.
This should be an asset for Germany, which will have two difficult games to start the competition.
🏃Germany’s preparation for the Euro
In a 5-team Euro qualification group, Germany finished in first place ahead of the Netherlands, who were the toughest opponent. The other teams were Belarus, Estonia and Northern Ireland and did not create any problems for the Mannschaft.
Results of the Euro 2020 Qualifiers
Germany finished second in Group A4 of the Nations League, behind Spain.
Their other opponents were Switzerland and Ukraine, nations of a lower level than Germany, on paper.
Nations League results
|Games ⚽||Score 🗓️|
|Germany – Spain||1 – 1|
|Switzerland – Germany||1 – 1|
|Ukraine – Germany||1 – 2|
|Germany – Switzerland||3 – 3|
|Germany – Ukraine||3 – 1|
|Spain – Germany||6 – 0|
Three qualifying matches for Euro 2020
This break will be the opportunity for Germany to play three games counting towards the 2022 World Cup qualifiers. In addition, Mannschaft has already planned a match against Latvia just before the start of Euro 2020 in June.
- 25.03.21 – Germany 3 – 0 Iceland
- 28.03.21 – Romania 0 – 1 Germany
- 31.03.21 – Germany 1 – 2 North Macedonia
- 07.06.21 – Germany – Latvia
⭐ Key player for Euro 2020: Manuel Neuer
Germany features many talented players. But the one that has shone the most for the last 10 years or more is the goalkeeper.
During the 2019/2020 season, Manuel Neuer got back to his best level. He was mentioned less often during discussions about the best keeper in the world but has recently managed to get back on top.
The 35 years old keeper, who signed a new contract until 2023 with Bayern, has been crucial during this great season for his club. In an interview given for Kicker, Löw declared that he deserved to win the 2020 Ballon d’Or.
Recently, Marc-André ter Stegen, FC Barcelona’s keeper, has been vying for the number 1 spot in the national team, as shown by both his performances and declarations.
But Manuel Neuer has shown again that he remains the number 1, and if he stays at that level, he will be hard to beat at Euro 2020.
— Manuel Neuer (@Manuel_Neuer) January 31, 2020
👟 The player to follow at Euro 2020: Joshua Kimmich
This 26 year old Bayern Munich’s player shines with his club. He was one of the key forces behind the six trophies won by Bayern this season. Great in Bundesliga, amazing in Champions League, this player can move between different positions and remain one of the best in the world.
He is the symbol of German rigour and he is always looking for more victories. Besides his exceptional physical qualities and his versatility, he also manages to be decisive.
— UEFA.com DE (@UEFAcom_de) January 27, 2021
📚 Stats and history: Germany at the Euro
In every international competition, Germany features among the favourites. It is not new for Germany, as the Mannschaft has always shone in the Euro.
Germany’s Euro statistics
- Germany has won the most titles in this competition (3)
- Germany is the nation that has played the most Euros (10) and the most games (53)
- The Mannschaft is the team that has won the most games in this competition (28)
- With 78 goals scored, it is the second-best team on the offence
Individual statistics of German Euro players
- Bastian Schweinsteiger has played the second-most games in this competition (18) behind Cristiano Ronaldo (21)
- The German midfielder is also the 3rd best in terms of assists in the history of Euro (5)
- With 1216 minutes played in the tournament, Philipp Lahm is the most experienced German in this competition.
🥊 Germany’s main opponents at Euro 2020
Being in the same group as France, the Germans will certainly want to get their revenge after being eliminated by Les Bleus in 2016. They will also have to face Portugal, the reigning champion, and Hungary.
One of the main favourites in the tournament. Boasting the World Cup crown, France will be a formidable opponent.
The reigning European champions will also be a tough opponent for the Germans. The fight for the top two spots promises to be fierce.
The last qualifier of the group but not the least. The other three will have to be wary of this team with some talent.