Wagering requirements and T&C’s Apply | Commercial content | 18+ | Play Responsibly
Winner of Euro 2000, quarter-finalist at Euro 2004 and 2012, finalist in 2016: France is one of the most dominant nations in the competition. Here is an overview of the nation that will once again be a favourite in this competition.
- 🔎 Euro 2020: France in a nutshell
- 👥 France’s lineup: Euro 2020-2021
- 👕 France’s jerseys
- 🗓️ France’s match schedule (Group F)
- 🏃France’s preparation for the Euro
- ⭐ Key player for Euro 2020: Kylian Mbappé
- 👟 The player to follow at Euro 2020: Antoine Griezmann
- 📚 Stats and history: the French team at the Euro
- 🥊 France’s main opponents
🔎 Euro 2020: France in a nutshell
France will start Euro 2020 with a revengeful spirit, five years after they lost the final to Portugal. Even if the 2018 World Cup went their way, there is no doubt that some players have not forgotten this defeat.
Antoine Griezmann, Paul Pogba, Raphaël Varane or Hugo Lloris were present in 2016 and should be here in 2020 (or rather 2021).
These players will certainly want to forget this disappointment by winning the Euro, almost 20 years after their elders. If all goes well, they will also be able to count on an additional weapon: Kylian Mbappé.
👥 France’s lineup: Euro 2020-2021
While Didier Deschamps regularly calls new players, the French national manager relies mainly on experienced players. With a mix of mature players (Griezmann, Lloris, Giroud…) and young talents such as Kylian Mbappé, France is today considered as one of the top teams in the world.
France’s 26-man squad
After winning the World Cup in 2018, Les Bleus will go into Euro 2020 as strong favourites. Didier Deschamps had the opportunity to select 26 players for the competition. The main surprise came in the form of Karim Benzema, who was ousted from the team in October 2015. This return could be beneficial for France!
- Goalkeepers: Hugo Lloris (Tottenham), Mike Maignan (Lille), Steve Mandanda (Olympique de Marseille)
- Defenders: Benjamin Pavard (Bayern Munich), Léo Dubois (Olympique Lyonnais), Raphael Varane (Real Madrid), Kurt Zouma (Chelsea), Presnel Kimpembe (PSG), Clément Lenglet (FC Barcelona), Lucas Hernandez (Bayern Munich), Lucas Digne (Everton), Jules Koundé (FC Séville)
- Midfielders: N’Golo Kanté (Chelsea), Paul Pogba (Manchester United), Adrien Rabiot (Juventus Turin), Corentin Tolisso (Bayern Munich), Moussa Sissoko (Tottenham), Thomas Lemar (Atletico Madrid)
- Forwards: Marcus Thuram (Borussia Monchengladbach), Kingsley Coman (Bayern Munich), Kylian Mbappé (PSG), Antoine Griezmann (FC Barcelone), Olivier Giroud (Chelsea), Karim Benzema (Real Madrid), Wissam Ben Yedder (AS Monaco), Ousmane Dembélé (FC Barcelona)
— Equipe de France ⭐⭐ (@equipedefrance) May 18, 2021
Didier Deschamps in the Hall of Fame of French managers
Chosen to lead France after Laurent Blanc, Deschamps has achieved great results. Having lost in the quarter-finals at Euro 2012 and World Cup 2014, his team managed to later reach the final of Euro 2016 and won the World Cup 2018. This success is the result of many years of hard work, and his great bond with his players.
France is now among the favourites for Euro 2020 and Deschamps will probably stay until the 2022 World Cup in Qatar so he still has two chances to shine with France.
👕 France’s jerseys
France keeps the colours that have made the blues so successful. Red stripe on a blue background. Simple white, for away games.
🗓️ France’s match schedule (Group F)
France will be in the toughest group at Euro 2020: group F, also called the death group. France will play against Germany, Portugal, a bad memory from 2016, and Hungary.
The first game against Germany will be crucial and difficult, as the Mannschaft will play at home. This game will be played in Munich, one of the 12 stadiums for the competition.
🏃France’s preparation for the Euro
France finished first in its qualifying group for Euro 2020. A loss and a draw (both against Turkey) did not prevent France from qualifying for the competition.
Euro 2020 Qualifications Results
Before the Euro, “Les Bleus” have been busy with the Nations League. Didier Deschamps has been able to test new players recently called up. Little bonus: France has qualified for the final four that will be organized next October. France will play against Belgium in the semi-final, as in 2018.
Nations League results
- 05.09.20 – Sweden 0 – 1 France
- 08.09.20 – France 4 – 2 Croatia
- 11.10.20 – France 0 – 0 Portugal
- 14.10.20 – Croatia 1 – 2 France
- 14.11.20 – Portugal 0 – 1 France
- 17.11.20 – France 4 – 2 Sweden
3 games for World Cup 2022 qualifiers
The French coach will have one last opportunity to test his players before May and the final list he will have to deliver. France will play three games for the 2022 World Cup qualifiers. Against Ukraine, Kazakhstan and Bosnia-Herzegovina, we should be able to see most of the team that will feature during the Euro. It will be an important time for everyone to show their qualities during important games.
- 24.03.21 – France 1 – 1 Ukraine
- 28.03.21 – Kazakhstan 0 – 2 France
- 31.03.21 – Bosnia-Herzegovina 0 – 1 France
Didier Deschamps has revealed his list for these three games on Thursday 18th March
⭐ Key player for Euro 2020: Kylian Mbappé
It is hard not to mention Kylian Mbappé when talking about Euro 2020. Of course, he won’t be the only important player for France at Euro 2020 but he should be the key offensive player.
For his first participation in this competition, the Paris Saint-Germain forward will have to face big names such as Germany and Portugal.
Quarter-final, here we come !!! pic.twitter.com/Wo8P2ysjAi
— Kylian Mbappé (@KMbappe) March 10, 2021
Therefore, he won’t have much time to adjust and will have to hit the ground running. He is performing really well this season (already 26 goals and 9 assists in 33 games) and will come to the Euro with a lot more experience.
France will need a great Kylian Mbappé at Euro 2020. The player born in Bondy will be, without a doubt, up for this new challenge.
👟 The player to follow at Euro 2020: Antoine Griezmann
After a difficult first season in Barcelona, the French forward looks better this year. Even if Barca has been eliminated by PSG in the Champions League, Griezmann remains a key piece of the FCB and that’s even more true for France. He is THE leader of the national team. Rarely disappointing during international competitions, he will be one to follow. At 29 years old, the Blaugrana is mature and can handle a lot of responsibility.
He also had the intelligence to let Kylian Mbappé shine and to adapt for the benefit of the French national team.
— Antoine Griezmann (@AntoGriezmann) February 3, 2021
📚 Stats and history: the French team at the Euro
Created in 1960, Euro has a rich history. France’s history in the competition is glorious too. France was the first country to host the competition and is the one that has hosted it the most. Look back on 60 years of history with these statistics.
Les Bleus’ statistics at the Euro
- L’Equipe de France is the team with the second most Euro wins (2)
- It is the team with the third most participations (8) behind Germany (10) and England (9)
- France has played 49 Euro games, one less than Spain and four less than Germany
- Only Germany (28) has won more games than France (24) during Euro championships
- The French team has scored more goals (86) but has also conceded more (63) than any other team
French players’ individual statistics at the Euro
- Michel Platini is the best scorer of the history at Euro (9 goals)
- Lilian Thuram is the player who has played the fourth most Euro games played (16)
- Zinedine Zidane is the player that has scored the most penalties (2)
- Lilian Thuram has played 1382 minutes during Euro games,, more than any other French player
🥊 France’s main opponents
France will be in the “death group” at Euro 2020. Against Germany, World Champion in 2014, Portugal, Euro winner in 2016, and Hungary, France will have to be at its best to end up in the first place.
Germany is ranked among the favourites for this tournament and should be a tough opponent for France.
European champion in 2016, Portugal is dreaming of keeping its title and has a group of players that can go far in this competition.
This team qualified through the playoffs. With a lot of young talent, these contenders should not be overlooked.