T&Cs apply | Wagering and T&Cs apply | Commercial content | 18+ | Play Responsibly
While we wait for the first Euro 2020 games, let’s focus on one of the great teams that will compete. Today, let’s talk about England.
- 🔎 Euro 2020: England in a nutshell
- 👥 England’s lineup: Euro 2020-2021
- 👕 England’s jerseys
- 🗓️ England’s match schedule (Group D)
- 🏃England’s preparation for the Euro
- ⭐ Key player for Euro 2020: Harry Kane
- 👟 The player to follow at Euro 2020: Jadon Sancho
- 📚 Stats and history: England at the Euro
- 🥊 England’s main opponents
🔎 Euro 2020: England in a nutshell
Being the strongest team in Group D, England will be one of the favourites at Euro 2020 and will do everything to bring the cup home. After Brexit, it would be a crazy story if England becomes the European champion.
It would not be surprising if this happened, as England has an excellent group of players. During qualifications, Gareth Southgate’s team lost just once. They scored 37 goals and conceded 6. Ranked number 4 in the world, England is a team to follow.
During this Euro 2020, England will have a great advantage: they will play their group games at home in London. If everything goes well, they could also play the semi-final and final at Wembley, one of the 12 stadiums for this competition.
If there are some fans in the stands at the Euro, English players will be able to rely on their 12th man to push them.
👥 England’s lineup: Euro 2020-2021
Before every international competition, many people believe that the Three Lions will be able to achieve great things. Full of young talents, England is certainly one of the best teams in the world. After reaching the semi-finals of the last World Cup, England will want to win the trophy this time.
The list of 23 for England
The list of 26 English players participating in Euro 2020 has been released. Gareth Southgate can rely on a vast pool of talents for this competition.
On the offense, Southgate has a great variety of options with Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling, Jadon Sancho to name just a few.
The English manager will also be able to build around John Stones, who is playing really well this season with Manchester City, as well as Jude Bellingham from Dortmund and the skipper Jordan Henderson, essential for Liverpool.
Here is the list of the 26 players called to action by Gareth Southgate for Euro 2020:
- Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson – Sam Johnstone – Nick Pope
- Defenders: Ben Chilwell – Conor Coady – Reece James – Harry Maguire – Tyrone Mings – Luke Shaw – John Stones – Kieran Trippier – Kyle Walker – Ben White
- Midfielders: Jude Bellingham – Phil Foden – Mason Mount – Kalvin Philipps – Declan Rice
- Forwards: Dominic Calvert-Lewin – Harry Kane – Marcus Rashford – Bukayo Saka – Raheem Sterling – Jack Grealish – Jadon Sancho
— England (@England) June 1, 2021
Gareth Southgate, an offense-minded manager
The Englishman wants his team to dominate the opponent and attack as much as possible. It seems very logical with so many offensive talents in his team. Even though England can sometimes seem shaky in the back, Southgate stays loyal to his philosophy.
👕 England’s jerseys
Simple. White and blue for the Three Lions.
🗓️ England’s match schedule (Group D)
EURO Grp. D
England will feature in Group D at Euro 2020. For its first game, it will face Croatia, a finalist during the last World Cup.
England will also play against the Czech Republic and Scotland. It looks like an easy group for England if they stay serious.
🏃England’s preparation for the Euro
England qualified for the Euro by finishing first in its group with 7 wins and 1 loss. Their first place spot is in front of the Czech Republic.
Euro 2020 Qualification Results
Then, England finished only 3rd in its group in the Nations League behind Belgium and Denmark. Quite a strong group, with Iceland too, and the Three Lions did not make a good impression.
Nations League results
- 05/09/20 – Iceland 0 – 1 England
- 08/09/20 – Denmark 0 – 0 England
- 11/10/20 – England 2 – 1 Belgium
- 14/10/20 – England 0 – 1 Denmark
- 11/15/20 – Belgium 2 – 0 England
- 11/18/20 – England 4 – 0 Iceland
Five games to prepare Euro 2020
During this international break, England played against San Marino, Albania and Poland for World Cup 2022 qualifiers. Poland was a great opponent.
Two last friendly matches scheduled for the English team, a few days before the beginning of the Euro. They will face Austria and Romania at the very beginning of June.
- 25/03/21 – England 5 – 0 San Marino
- 28/03/21 – Albania 0 – 2 England
- 31/03/21 – England 2 – 1 Poland
⭐ Key player for Euro 2020: Harry Kane
On the England side, among the many strikers to watch, Harry Kane remains the one to watch. Top scorer at the 2018 World Cup, he was also top scorer in the Euro 2020 qualifiers with twelve goals.
He could make history by becoming the top scorer in the European championship. The Tottenham striker will be scrutinized very closely by his opponents.
Harry Kane will be the man to follow for England, during this Euro 2020.
👟 The player to follow at Euro 2020: Jadon Sancho
After leaving Manchester City to join Borussia Dortmund, the young English winger is now delivering superb performances in the Bundesliga.
Fast, technical and good until the end, he also forms an explosive duo with Erling Haaland, the Norwegian “cyborg”. Once again, he had a very good season (12 goals and 16 assists in 31 games), and he will certainly be one of the strongest elements of the English team during this Euro 2020.
He will undoubtedly be one of the most dangerous weapons for the English team.
— Jadon Sancho (@Sanchooo10) February 20, 2021
📚 Stats and history: England at the Euro
The birthplace of football, England has a long history at Euro, even though they have never won this competition. Here are a few numbers that tell England’s story at this championship.
England’s stats at the Euro
- England has never won this competition
- England has played 9 Euros, only Germany has played more
- But England has only played 35 Euro games
English players’ individual statistics at Euro
- Alan Shearer is the third best scorer in the history of Euro (7 goals)
- David Beckham is the third best player for assists (5)
- Alan Shearer is the player who has scored the most penalties (2, same as Zidane)
🥊 England’s main opponents
England is the favourite in its group at the Euro. Although they will have to face Croatia, finalist during the last World Cup, the two other opponents (Scotland and Czech Republic) seem inoffensive for the Three Lions.