T&Cs apply | Wagering and T&Cs apply | Commercial content | 18+ | Play Responsibly
After missing out on Euro 2016, Denmark is back for Euro 2020. They could be this year’s surprise team in a well-matched group, like they were in 1992 when the Danish Dynamite won the competition and surprised everyone.
- 🔎 Euro 2020: Denmark in a nutshell
- 👥 Denmark’s Euro 2020-2021 Lineup
- 👕 Denmark’s Kit
- 🗓️ Denmark’s Match Schedule (Group B)
- 🏃Denmark’s preparation for the Euro
- ⭐ The Star Player at Euro 2020: Christian Eriksen
- 👟 The player to follow at Euro 2020: Yussuf Poulsen
- 📚 Denmark’s Stats and History at the Euro
- 🥊 Denmark’s main opponents at Euro 2020
🔎 Euro 2020: Denmark in a nutshell
Denmark is used to international competitions, especially the Euro, which it won in 1992. After missing out on the last edition, the Danes made up for it by participating in the 2018 World Cup and now Euro 2020. Unbeaten during the qualifiers, the Danes will want to prove they’ve come back fighting. The other teams in their group make getting through the group stage attainable and they have a real shot to do this with their star players Christian Eriksen and Yussuf Poulsen.
👥 Denmark’s Euro 2020-2021 Lineup
Denmark relies on a solid team that doesn’t vary much from year to year, with experienced players know throughout the old continent such as Kasper Schmeichel, Simon Kjaer and Thomas Delaney. A few youngsters have also joined the team, such as Kasper Dolberg and Andreas Christensen. This is a solid team that will be difficult to go up against.
Denmark’s 26-man squad
Kasper Hjulmand has unveiled the list of the 26 Danish players who will take part in Euro 2020 in June:
- Goalkeepers: Kasper Schmeichel (Leicester City, Frederik Rönnow (Schalke 04), Jonas Lössl (FC Midtjylland)
- Defenders: Joachim Andersen (Fulham), Nicolail Boilesen (FC Copenhagen), Andreas Christensen (Chelsea), Mathias Jörgensen (FC Copenhagen), Simon Kjaer (AC Milan), Joachim Maehle (Atalanta Bergame), Jens Stryger Larsen (Udinese), Jannik Vestergaard (Southampton), Daniel Wass (Valence)
- Midfielders: Anders Christiansen (Malmö FF), Thomas Delaney (Borussia Dortmund), Christian Eriksen (Inter Milan), Pierre-Emil Höjbjerg (Tottenham), Mathias Jensen (Brentford), Christian Nörgaard (Brentford)
- Forwards: Martin Braithwaite (FC Barcelona), Andreas Cornelius (Parme), Mikkel Damsgaard (Sampdoria), Kasper Dolberg (Nice), Yussuf Poulsen (RB Leipzig), Andreas Skov Olsen (Bologne, Robert Skov (Hoffenheim), Jonas Wind (FC Copenhagen)
The Coach: Kasper Hjulmand – The Novice
Kasper Hjulmand has just taken over the reins of the team. Indeed, he was only supposed to succeed Age Hareide after Euro 2020 but the pandemic accelerated things. He is now Denmark’s coach for Euro 2020.
👕 Denmark’s Kit
In classic Denmark fashion, both the home and away kits will be red and white.
🗓️ Denmark’s Match Schedule (Group B)
Denmark is in group B with Belgium, Finland and Russia – a well-matched group. The Danes will start their competition against Finland. This Scandinavian derby match between Denmark and Finland will be very important for the future of the competition. Moreover, if the Danes manage their first games well, the last game against Belgium could decide which country progresses, or it could count for nothing.
EURO Grp. B
🏃Denmark’s preparation for the Euro
The Danes finished second in their qualifying group behind Switzerland and were unbeaten.
Euro 2020 Qualification Results
Whilst waiting for the Euro, Denmark participated in the Nations League and finished second in their group behind Belgium and ahead of England.
Nations League Results
- 05/09/20 – Denmark 0 – 2 Belgium
- 08/09/20 – Denmark 0 – 0 England
- 11/10/20 – Iceland 0 – 3 Denmark
- 14/10/20 – England 0 – 1 Denmark
- 15/11/20 – Denmark 2 – 1 Iceland
- 18/11/20 – Belgium 4 – 2 Denmark
Three Qualification Games for the 2022 World Cup
Before starting the Euro, Denmark played three qualifying matches for the next World Cup 2022 in Qatar against Israel, Moldova and Austria.
- 25.03.21 – Israel 0 – 2 Denmark
- 28.03.21 – Denmark 8 – 0 Moldova
- 31.03.21 – Austria 0 – 4 Denmark
⭐ The Star Player at Euro 2020: Christian Eriksen
The Inter Milan attacking midfielder is the star of this team. He has been with the national team since the age of 17 and has experienced everything in the red shirt.
Christian Eriksen has become the youngest Danish international to start a match since Michael Laudrup and was even the youngest player at the 2010 World Cup. He has more than 100 caps for his country and at 29 years of age, he intends to lead them as far as possible.
👟 The player to follow at Euro 2020: Yussuf Poulsen
The Leipzig striker is well versed in the international football scene, especially with his club. He is a key player when it comes to attacking, and has already proved to be a key player in important matches in the past. His duo with Eriksen is promising and explosive.
— Yussuf Yurary Poulsen (@yussufyurary) October 4, 2020
📚 Denmark’s Stats and History at the Euro
Created in 1960, the history of the Euro is rich and Denmark’s history is just as rich. Find out all about Denmark’s Euro history in a few figures.
Denmark’s Euro Statistics
- Denmark will play its 9th Euro, it won the competition in 1992
- Denmark holds the record for the most defeats in one competition (14)
- The Danes also reached the semi-final in their first appearance in 1964
Danish Players’ Individual Statistics at the Euro
- Kim Vilfort scored the 200th Euro goal against Germany in 1992
- Peter Schmeichel is the most capped player in a Euro for his country (13 games)
- Michael Laudrup is the best passer (3)
🥊 Denmark’s main opponents at Euro 2020
Apart from Belgium, Denmark is in a fairly balanced group where all nations have a good chance to qualify.
Group favourites, Belgium should get through the group stage easily
The strong Russian team can make it out of the group stage and is expected to show Europe that they’re back on form.
In their first appearance at an international competition, Finland will not want to make a fool out of themselves.