T&Cs apply | Wagering and T&Cs apply | Commercial content | 18+ | Play Responsibly
While everyone is looking forward to Euro 2020, we examine in detail one of the favourites for this competition. Quarter-finalists in 2016 after losing to Wales, Belgium wants to go further in this edition and they will definitely be feared.
- 🔎 Euro 2020: Belgium in a nutshell
- 👥 Belgian lineup: Euro 2020-2021
- 👕 Belgium’s jerseys
- 🗓️ Belgium’s match schedule (Group B)
- 🏃Belgium’s preparation for the Euro
- ⭐ Key player for Euro 2020: Kevin de Bruyne
- 👟 The player to follow at Euro 2020: Romelu Lukaku, serial scorer
- 📚 Stats and history: Belgium at the Euro
- 🥊 Belgium’s main opponents
🔎 Euro 2020: Belgium in a nutshell
Belgium is one of the favourites for Euro 2020. For the last two years, this team has been ranked number 1 in the world according to top rankings.
The Belgians have almost forgotten the disappointment of their defeat in the semi-finals of the last World Cup: since then, they have improved and continued to develop as a team.
Like Italy, Belgium has been very strong in the Euro 2020 qualifiers. Despite the presence of Russia in their group, they beat all their opponents. Ten games, ten wins, 40 goals scored and 3 conceded.
Belgium has been the best team during these qualifiers when it comes to both the offensive and the defensive. It is certain, Belgium is ready for this competition.
30/30 💪🏼🇧🇪 pic.twitter.com/Oa9HZ0DxHH
— Kevin De Bruyne (@DeBruyneKev) November 20, 2019
👥 Belgian lineup: Euro 2020-2021
For the last couple of years, Belgium has had a very strong international team with experienced leaders ( De Bruyne, Hazard, Courtois, Vertonghen) and some young talents ( Tielemans, Dendoncker, Doku). They reached the semi-final during the last World Cup and lost in the quarter-final at Euro 2016. It is certainly an impressive team in Europe.
The list of 26 for Belgium
During their three World Cup 2022 qualifiers, the Belgians won 2 of their 3 games, scoring 12 goals and conceding only 2, which allows them to approach the Euro on top form. Moreover, it was decided that national coaches are allowed to call up three more players than usual for international competitions, i.e. 26 players. Roberto Martinez recently unveiled the list of Belgian Red Devils who will fly out with him in a bid to win their first international trophy.
- Goalkeepers: Thibaut Courtois (Real Madrid), Simon Mignolet (Club Bruges KV), Matz Sels (Strasbourg)
- Defenders: Toby Alderweireld (Tottenham), Dedryck Boyata (Herta Berlin), Jason Denayer (Olympique Lyonnais), Thomas Vermaelen (Vissel Kobe), Jan Vertonghen (Benfica), Thomas Meunier (Dortmund)
- Midfielders: Yannick Carrasco (Atlético Madrid), Timothy Castagne (Leicester), Nacer Chadli (Istanbul Basksehir), Thorgan Hazard (Dortmund), Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City), Leander Dendoncker (Wolverhampton), Dennis Praet (Leicester), Youri Tielemans (Leicester), Hans Vanaken (Club Bruges KV), Axel Witsel (Dortmund)
- Forwards: Jeremy Doku (Rennes), Eden Hazard (Real Madrid), Dries Mertens (Naples), Leandro Trossard (Brighton), Michy Batshuayi (Crystal Palace), Christian Benteke (Crystal Palace), Romelu Lukaku (Inter Milan)
— Belgian Red Devils (@BelRedDevils) May 17, 2021
Roberto Martinez, a new era
Roberto Martinez took over from Marc Wilmots after the defeat against Wales at Euro 2016. The new manager led Belgium to the World Cup semi-finals, with a great victory against Brazil during that competition. Belgium finished third at WC 2018, their best result ever.
👕 Belgium’s jerseys
The three colours, black, yellow and red for the home and a sober away outfit that is successful for the Belgians.
🗓️ Belgium’s match schedule (Group B)
EURO Grp. B
Belgium will feature in group B with Denmark, Finland and Russia. It is a homogeneous group in which they will be considered as favourites.
First, Belgium will face Russia and then Denmark. They have recently played against those teams, against Russia during Euro 2020 qualifications, and against Denmark during the Nations League.
Those two countries will have an advantage as they will play at home. Although it may sound misleading, Belgium will be considered the receiving team on the official calendar. However, Belgium-Russia will be played away at St Petersburg and Belgium-Denmark at Copenhagen.
Belgium will have to overcome this slight disadvantage to show they are the better team.
🏃Belgium’s preparation for the Euro
Belgium qualified for Euro thanks to a perfect qualifying campaign. 10 games, 10 wins and first place in front of Russia. The Belgian scored 40 goals and only conceded 3.
Euro 2020 qualifications results
Before Euro 2020, Belgium had a good start in the Nations League. In group A2, Roberto Martinez’s team lost only once in England and qualified for the semi-finals of this competition.
EURO Qualification Grp. I
Nations League results
- 05/09/20 – Denmark 0 – 2 Belgium
- 08/09/20 – Belgium 5 – 1 Iceland
- 11/10/19 – England 2 – 1 Belgium
- 14/10/20 – Iceland 1 – 2 Belgium
- 15/11/19 – Belgium 2 – 0 England
- 18/11/20 – Belgium 4 – 2 Denmark
3 qualification games for the 2022 World Cup before the Euro
Before the Euro, Belgium has to play 3 games for the qualification for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. They will face Wales on 24th March and then Czech Republic and Belarus.
- 24/03/21 – Belgium 3 – 1 Wales
- 27/03/21 – Czech Republic 1 – 1 Belgium
- 30/03/21 – Belarus 0 – 8 Belgium
⭐ Key player for Euro 2020: Kevin de Bruyne
Obviously, Eden Hazard is the player that everyone is talking about. But in the last months and years, Kevin de Bruyne has become Belgium’s main man.
Nominated Player of the Year in Premier League, “KDB” shines in the English league with Manchester City, and with his national team.
Today, the 29-year-old is considered the best midfielder in the world. Winning the Euro with Belgium would help him defend this symbolic title.
During this tournament, we should see some world-class midfielders (Paul Pogba, Bruno Fernandes, Jordan Henderson, Toni Kroos, Thiago Alcantara, Marco Verratti, Luka Modric or Christian Eriksen) and De Bruyne, who was born in Tronchiennes, should be the leader for Belgium.
— Kevin De Bruyne (@DeBruyneKev) September 7, 2019
👟 The player to follow at Euro 2020: Romelu Lukaku, serial scorer
Inter Milan’s striker is one of the best players in Serie A, being the second best scorer so far. He has become one of the most notable players in this position. He is the great forward that Belgium needs to go far in international competitions. Even though he had difficult times with Belgium, Romelu Lukaku became essential.
📚 Stats and history: Belgium at the Euro
Created in 1960, the Euro has a rich history. Belgium’s history in this competition is interesting. Look back on 60 years of Belgian history at the Euro through a few numbers.
Belgium’s Euro statistics
- Belgium will only play their sixth Euro
- Before Euro 2016, they missed Euros 2004, 2008 and 2012
- In 1980, they reached the final but lost against West Germany
Belgian players’ individual statistics at Euro
- Eden Hazard has been the player with the most assists (4) at Euro 2016
🥊 Belgium’s main opponents
Belgium will feature in an interesting group with Denmark, Russia and Finland. Normally, they should finish first but the Belgians will have to be careful with two difficult away games in Russia and Denmark.
After a good World Cup 2018, Denmark wants to reach the second round during this Euro.
Russia shone during the last World Cup and will want to repeat this performance.
The new team in the competition, Finland could cause a few upsets.