Commercial content | 18+
Since its first edition in 1960, 15 teams have lifted the trophy. Of these, however, there are only 10 different winning nations as some have won it more than once. Today, we invite you to test your knowledge of the various Euro winners in our five-question quiz.
⚠️ Spoiler alert: The answers are below the quiz and come with a little explanation. Answer the questions first before taking a look ⚠️
Euro 2020: ‘Euro winners’ quiz
How many times has Germany won the Euro?
Spain has won the same amount of times!
How many winners have been crowned after a victory during extra-time?
Which two teams have won the Euro by scoring more than two goals in the final?
Which teams have won the Euro with a Golden Goal?
The first time was after 1984
Which city has crowned a winner the most times?
Learn more about our ratings at the bottom of the page*
Answers and explanations
- Germany has won the competition three times. Along with Spain (who have also done it three times), they are the two nations to have won the most Euros since its creation.
- Five teams that have won the tournament have done so after extra time in the final: the Soviet Union (1960), Czechoslovakia (on penalties in 1976), Germany (1996), France (2000) and Portugal (2016).
- Only Germany and Spain have managed to score more than two goals in a Euro final: West Germany – Soviet Union (3-0 in 1972) and Spain – Italy (4-0 in 2012).
- The ‘Golden Goal’ rule was abolished on 27th February 2004, but it benefited two teams in the history of the European Championship: Germany in 1996 and France in 2000.
- It is in the French capital that the most Euro winners have been crowned: 3 times (1960, 1984 and 2016)