Commercial content | 18+
Euro finals have not always been held with 24 teams as is the case today. While there are currently 6 groups of 4 teams, this rule only appeared in 2016. Between 1960 and 1976, only four teams took part in the competition, eight between 1980 and 1992 and 16 between 1996 and 2012. Below is a quiz to help you understand the different groups in the European Championship.
⚠️ Spoiler alert: The answers are below the quiz and come with a little explanation, answer the questions first before taking a look ⚠️
Euro 2020: ‘Euro groups” quiz
Which team has the most defeats at the Euro? (14)
What is special about Group D at Euro 2020?
Which group has the most Euro winners?
How many team(s) will participate in their first Euro finals?
Which team has taken part in the most finals at the Euro?
Learn more about our ratings at the bottom of the page*
Answers and explanations
- With 14 defeats, Denmark is the most defeated team in the history of the competition. It’s an unfortunate record for the Scandinavian selection!
- At Euro 2020, Group D will be the only one without any former winners of the competition (Croatia, Czech Republic, England and Scotland).
- Group F, which many consider the ‘group of death’, has the most Euro, winners. Germany, France and Portugal have 6 trophies between them (0 for Hungary).
- Two teams will participate in the Euro for the first time in their history: Finland and Northern Macedonia.
- With 12 appearances, Germany is the nation with the most Euro finals. The Nationalmannschaft has also won three: a record!